It’s your time to make your health a priority. Learn how to take the simple steps for a longer, healthier and happier life. This section can help you take the best steps to being healthy and having a healthy family. You will also find resources and ideas that help you think about the choices you make and move you to action.
It’s All About YOU!
Life is about choices and deciding what’s best for you. If you are pregnant or thinking about getting pregnant you need to think about what is best for baby, too. If you are not thinking about having a baby yet, but are sexually active, it is important to know that the choices you make about your body now will affect the health of children you may have in the future. Even if you never want to have children or have finished having children, making healthy lifestyle choices are important for all women that want to lead longer, healthier and happier lives.
This section has lots of information, tips and links about:
- Making your health a priority
- Family planning
- After pregnancy
- Infant sleep safety
- Caring for an infant
As well as additional information about:
- Free or low-cost children’s health insurance in North Carolina
- How to keep your newborn safe
- Choosing safe child care
Whether it’s about food, stress, relationships, smoking, alcohol or drugs, learning your options can help you make positive changes for life. And it’s never too late. You can make the choice to change anytime you want.
Resources – General Women’s Health
My Health Journey
- Healthy Weight – One woman’s journey towards achieving her healthy weight. Includes tips for healthy eating and weight loss.
- Folic Acid – Explains the importance of taking a multivitamin with folic acid before and during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects.
- Diabetes – Two women tell their stories of life with diabetes and discuss lifestyle changes they have made to stay healthy.
- Smoking Cessation – A former smoker discusses her motivations for quitting and the steps she took to quit. Includes tips and resources on how to become smoke-free.
- HIV – Encourages women to get tested for HIV and educates women about the effects of HIV during pregnancy.
- North Carolina WIC: Information about nutrition during and after pregnancy
- North Carolina Child Health Insurance: Information
- My Health Journal: This publication will help you keep all of your health information updated and in one place. It will help you keep track of your medical appointments, test results, and questions to ask your doctor. It can also help you set personal health goals.(Plain text version)
- NC Preconception Health Campaign
WomensHealth.gov – The Office on Women’s Health (OWH), part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), works to improve the health and sense of well-being of all U.S. women and girls. OWH serves as the focal point for women’s health activities across HHS offices and agencies and leads HHS efforts to ensure that all women and girls achieve the best possible health.