Although only women get pregnant and give birth, men have babies too! Here are some things men can do to help their partners have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Get Involved During Pregnancy
- Go to prenatal (doctor) visits
- Talk, read or sing to the baby everyday
- Give the baby a nickname
- Listen to the baby’s heartbeat
- Feel the baby kick or stretch
- Help create a safe, smoke-free home
- Be patient – let mom get extra rest
- Share the load – help with housework
- Help mom save money for the future
Be Healthy and Supportive
- Get a yearly checkup. Get tested for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and other infections that could be passed on. For more information about STD’s and pregnancy, visit STDs and Pregnancy – CDC Fact Sheet.
- Talk with mom before having sex. It doesn’t hurt the baby but may be uncomfortable for her
- Be careful how you touch and talk – no pushing, shoving, yelling or hitting
- Get regular exercise
- Help mom stay away from cigarettes, other people’s cigarette smoke, alcohol and other drugs. Quit using tobacco, alcohol and other drugs if you do.